[MPlayer-users] newbie questions

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Feb 15 21:44:13 CET 2003

Daniel Hauck wrote:
> My chief complaints are in the way it plays.  The video window should
> not be open unless there is video playing or displayed (i.e. video
> loaded but not playing)  The logo display, which I cannot find a way to
> remove, is too large and annoying.

The mplayer GUI isn't really that mature; most of us don't use it-
from the command line, mplayer can do pretty much everything. When I
first started using mplayer, having the GUI hold my hand was comforting,
until I realized that I wasn't actually using it to do anything. :)
With mplayer's excellent keyboard control and OSD, the GUI is not really
necessary.

> mplayer does not respect window size and placement on the screen.  If I
> set a playlist of multiple clips, it resizes and moves the window over
> and over again with the beginning of each new clip.  If I select
> double-size, it goes back to normal size with each new clip.

See my comment above. If you use this:
$ mplayer -xy 2 one.avi two.mov three.asf
The video size will be doubled for every file. I think this works too:
$ gmplayer -xy 2 one.avi two.mov three.asf
if you really want the gui still. (can't check to make sure that works
from here)

> I would also like to see simple options like "looping" and repeat play.
> I would think "repeat" features would be relatively simple to
> implement.  I think if those things are implemented, then this player
> becomes everything the home/desktop user needs in a media player.

Read the man page for the -loop option.

-Corey