[MPlayer-users] New Apple "iTunes" streaming - receivable/playable by MPlayer?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Apr 28 23:06:53 CEST 2003

(I don't have a Mac, so I can't yet experiment with this for myself.)

Apple has just released a new version of its "iTunes" software
<http://www.apple.com/itunes/> (currently for Macintosh only) that makes it
possible to stream AAC or MP3 audio to other computers on a LAN.

If - as is likely - this streaming uses the open standard RTSP/RTP
protocols, then it may be possible for MPlayer (with the LIVE.COM RTSP/RTP
streaming support: <http://www.live.com/mplayer/>) to receive and play
these streams, by giving MPlayer an appropriate "rtsp://" URL.

I'd be interested to learn if anyone has tried playing with this, to see if
if works.

	Ross.