[MPlayer-users] frame selection/editing/stop-encoding

Russell Polo mplayer at azimuth-interactive.com
Wed Sep 18 23:33:02 CEST 2002

heiserer <daniel.heiserer at bmw.de> wrote:
> exactly. That's it. I cannot tell you how many tools (opensource, closed
> whatever)
> I tried. For 1.5 years now, it drives you mad.  (There are probably more
> codecs out there than people reading this email...)
> Most of the software is stuck half the way in the support of codecs,
> stop opensourcing
> or the whole development.
> MPlayer is great, because it supports every movie-format I ever had in
> my hand,

AMEN !!

I too have tried EVERY editor I could get my hands on,  They won't
compile, they only work on a lame format, the are too slow to playback
at real-time... etc..

mplayer /mencoder is far and away the best video tool I've ever touched.

I have been using mencoder with -ss and -endpos to create cuts, but I
still don't have a good way to put them back together. (avicat , which
runs about 1/3 the fps rate that mencoder does with -ovc copy, kills
audio sync)

The most essential thing on my wish list is the ability to specify
multiple input files to mencoder. ( so it will do what avicat tries to
do )

The next simple little feature, would be to add two keypresses to
mplayer for Mark-in and Mark-out , these could be written to a simple
text file.  That would save me introducing errors when I write down
times. (ideally the resulting file would be a list in-out pairs ).   Yes
GUI's are nice, but personally, I can find a spot faster with the arrow
keys in mplayer than I can with the slider-bar in a GUI.

With those little additions, I could write simple scripts to do the
editing.

Yes, non-keyframe edits, and frame based cut-points  would be nice, but
not essential, I just want to drop commercials to save space. I don't
mind if I see one or two seconds of them.

  --Russell Polo