[MPlayer-users] xine vs. mplayer

Kjetil Tjensvold feb2000info at yahoo.no
Wed May 1 03:34:02 CEST 2002

The last week I've tried both.
Xine 0.9.8 installs without any kind of problems, Play
windows media files (.asf) in a window that is 50%
larger that the mplayer window. However it wont play
.mov files or quicktime although it should. Maybe a
bug.
Mplayer was a hell to compile and install. First I had
to upgrade my gcc compiler to version 3.0.4 to get the
job done. Option --disable-runtime-cpudetection
compiled not without errors although when I ran
mplayer I get noticed that it was not optimal
installation whitout that disable option. Mplayer
didnt either play -mov or quicktime formats. Common
for both is no sound at all, although I enabled the
alsa driver for mplayer. Then I tried to install
MPlayer 0.90pre2 packed by freshrpm. It dident work at
all, The gui shows up but the file was not activated
by my Opera browser as it did before that
installation. After that I tried to compile mplayer
again to get it back to what it was before the rpm
installation, but that didnt work out. Finally the
people that answer questions is more nice at the xine
mailing list than at the mplaier mailinglist, who get
a lot of sour and arrogant people spitting out "You
should know that".
In my opinion xine is allover concerning
qualitity,bugs and easily to install a 100% better
choice for a newbie like me, than mplayer. Mplayer gui
can not at all be compared with that of xine.

=====
Investigating the Norwegain 4.th Secret Service
The multiheaded animal.
http://hjem.sol.no/altiett/knut_ove_hauge_kuren.htm