[MPlayer-users] xine vs. mplayer

Luke Harrison luke at vv.carleton.ca
Wed May 1 05:29:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002 03:26:04 +0200 (CEST)
Kjetil Tjensvold <feb2000info at yahoo.no> wrote:

> The last week I've tried both.
> Xine 0.9.8 installs without any kind of problems, Play
> windows media files (.asf) in a window that is 50%

and? Are you trying to tell me you me you don't know how to change the size
of a window in your window manager?

> larger that the mplayer window. However it wont play
> .mov files or quicktime although it should. Maybe a
> bug.
> Mplayer was a hell to compile and install. First I had
> to upgrade my gcc compiler to version 3.0.4 to get the
> job done. Option --disable-runtime-cpudetection
> compiled not without errors although when I ran
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
if it compiled with errors, how did you run it?

> mplayer I get noticed that it was not optimal
> installation whitout that disable option. Mplayer
> didnt either play -mov or quicktime formats. Common
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can play quicktime files....

> for both is no sound at all, although I enabled the
> alsa driver for mplayer.

RTFM: use oss emulation

Then I tried to install
> MPlayer 0.90pre2 packed by freshrpm. It dident work at
> all, The gui shows up but the file was not activated
> by my Opera browser as it did before that
> installation.

sounds like you should read the opera documentation

After that I tried to compile mplayer
> again to get it back to what it was before the rpm
> installation, but that didnt work out. Finally the
> people that answer questions is more nice at the xine
> mailing list than at the mplaier mailinglist, who get
> a lot of sour and arrogant people spitting out "You
> should know that".

The fact is YOU SHOULD KNOW things in the documentation, that's why its there.
Your teh arrogant one to expect /busy/ people with lives to answer all your questions
that have already been answered in the documentation - again the whole point of
documentation.

> In my opinion xine is allover concerning
> qualitity,bugs and easily to install a 100% better
> choice for a newbie like me, than mplayer. Mplayer gui
> can not at all be compared with that of xine.

If its GUI you want by all means whip out your xine.. Mplayers GUI is in alpha..

I can't beleive im bored enough to respond to this email...
well anyone taking Organic Chemsitry can sympathize :).