[MPlayer-users] About the news : MPlayerXP - 2002.03.18

Magnus Sandberg magnus.sandberg at depicta.com
Wed Mar 20 11:33:02 CET 2002

> "It helps only in some rare files on about ~400Mhz Intel speed category

Well something is not good with mplayer, hey don't get me wrong I love
using
it, it's by far the best player for Linux! But on my new machine with
an AthlonXP 1700+ (1.47GHz) and a Matrox G400 and 512 Megs of memory
mplayer
still hangs now and then, usually a few times in a movie. (Yes I'm using
the cache options etc, less cache more hangs). IMHO this is due to that
the I/O probably hangs in the kernel. Without having tried Nicks branch
yet I'd must say that I strongly believe that multithreading (at least
in the file I/O) would make the mplayer experience even better!

/Magnus