[MPlayer-users] About the news : MPlayerXP - 2002.03.18

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Wed Mar 20 13:14:02 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Magnus Sandberg wrote:

> it, it's by far the best player for Linux! But on my new machine with
> an AthlonXP 1700+ (1.47GHz) and a Matrox G400 and 512 Megs of memory
> mplayer
> still hangs now and then, usually a few times in a movie. (Yes I'm using
> the cache options etc, less cache more hangs). IMHO this is due to that
> the I/O probably hangs in the kernel. Without having tried Nicks branch
> yet I'd must say that I strongly believe that multithreading (at least
> in the file I/O) would make the mplayer experience even better!

 I think you should check what's wrong with your system and not try to
avoid it with multithreading/preempt/whatever. And BE SURE, there is
something not working as it should on your system. Probably you haven't
got dma for your hard disk/cdrom/dvd. See also the unmaskirq for the
drives (hdparm -u). (do you have mtrr enabled?)
 Anyway, you give almost no info and so nobody can help you. (you don't
even give the output of mplayer)