[MPlayer-users] Minor Feature Request

pl p_l at gmx.fr
Fri Mar 15 17:26:02 CET 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:09:40AM -0500, Aubin Paul wrote:

> I scanned through the mailing lists, and no one seems to have brought
> this up before; what are the possibilities of creating a FIFO pipe in
> /tmp/ such that messages could piped to the OSD; i.e. other applications
> could be configured to print notifications in the subtitle area. Even
> something silly like piping a 'biff' to the output or a transfer
> completion from another app. All mplayer would need to do is accept the
> pipe (i.e. /tmp/.mplayer-messages) and print it using the existing OSD
> methods.  (I'm not implying that it's trivial to implement, just the
> scope of effort)

There has been such ideas for a while (to make mplayer a real backend
player I mean) but no real code appeared or I may have missed it.

Check around the -slave mode implementation as it might help you (it
reads command from stdin or a pipe IIRC).  A new command might be what
you need. Dunno if it still works with new-input code though...

--
Best regards,
  pl