[MPlayer-users] mplayer performance

Brondo, Greg Greg.Brondo at allegiancetelecom.com
Fri Mar 1 19:14:01 CET 2002

I have mplayer compiled and running under Debian Sid with Xfree 4.2.0 on a
Toshiba 4100xdvd laptop (Celeron 400) with a Trident Cyber 9525 (4MB) video
adapter.  When running Mplayer playing the DVD it complains the machine is
too slow (using xv and oss).  The picture is crystal clear however.  When I
run the same DVD with Xine I get full speed playback with audio, but the
picture becomes interlaced (?) with small black lines when motion is on the
screen.  When I run the same DVD with Ogle it runs slow AND I get the motion
lines.

My hardware is fast enough since Xine runs at full speed so what can I do to
get Mplayer up to speed?  I've read the manuals.  MTRR is compiled into the
kernel and shows with cat /proc/mtrr and Xvideo is loaded.

Kernel is 2.4.17 with Robert Love's preempt kernel patches.

Thanks!
Greg B.