[MPlayer-users] Linux PVR - anyway to do onscreen file browsing?

Da Kourier thekourier-mplayer at armitage.gotdns.com
Sun Jun 16 12:46:01 CEST 2002

   If you're ever in California, I owe you a beer.  Wow, I can't believe it.
I searched Google forever and with one link you've hooked me up with exactly
what I'm looking for!  THANK YOU!
   I tried using freevo, but it won't compile correctly.  I think there's
some problem in the latest release.  It seems like a polished version of a
perfect Personal Video Recorder.  Until I figure things out though I'm
sticking with a link they had to a project called Ding
http://bogmog.sourceforge.net/document_show.php3?doc_id=30.
   Essentially Ding is a PERL script that interfaces with both LIRC and X11.
I know PERL and had thought about writing something similar, but I have
little experience with X.  Luckily the site explains how to setup X to
automatically login and fire off the script.  It's very basic, but it'll do
until I can figure out how to get freevo working.
   Surprisingly, DIVX looks better fullscreen on a TV than fullscreen on a
PC.  It looks great in a PC window, but when you blow it up you notice the
quality issues.  Probably because we're so much closer to the screen.  I
capture video 640x480 in MPEG1 on my W2k PC (since Virtualdub won't convert
MPEG2).  Then I convert it to a 320x240 DIVX file with 500 kbs bitrate.  The
files are about 90 MB for a 20 minute DIVX TV episode.  With MPEG1 it's 200
MB for the same thing at 320x240.
   To anyone who's thinking of building their own PVR (personal video
recorder), I'd recommend using a Celeron or a Duron instead of a Via C3
chip.  The C3 runs cooler, but the performance is really low for some reason
when dealing with video files.
   Thank you Alan for your help!  That link was exactly what I needed to get
things running, you're the best!  Now I just need to finish the LCD mod that
will go in the front.  I've already got Samba running, so I can play MP3s or
Videos stored on my Windows box over the LAN.  This is working out great!