[MPlayer-users] MEncoder Questions

René Bartsch rene at bartschnet.de
Thu Feb 14 20:24:01 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arpi" <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
To: <mplayer-users at mplayer.dev.hu>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [MPlayer-users] MEncoder Questions

> Hi,

> > >Another thing I need help on, is how to create an SVCD/XVCD from a DVD
> > >using mencoder. (Im fairly new to encoding video and Im not quite sure
> > >about formats/codecs to use, etc.)
> >
> > Unfortunately at this time MEncoder does not encode to the proper format for
> >  (S)VCD's.  VCD format
> > is usually MPEG1 stream, SVCD is MPEG2.  Currently MEncoder only creates AVI
> >  files, which of course
> > can have MPEG1/2 streams...
> >
> > If this has changed, someone let me know.  TFM still says only AVI.
>
> I'm thinking about mpeg 1/2 support (but not yet done)
> anyway we have no mpeg2 encoder yet.
> and i also need to find some good docs about vcd/svcd format, especially the
> right packet sizes and packet header formating. i can only make mpeg PES

Is that in the CVS? Which options must be used? I want to rip DVDs to PES for my VDR-Server?

> files right now, i don't know the details of PS headers and other funny
> fields and padding stuff there.

If you mean fields and padding by Telecine machines look at DivX.com. They have a nice description.

> do someone know/have an mpeg pes2ps converter/remuxer ?

The DVB driver by the Metzler Bros. has a ps2pes-proggie, but no pes2ps. But maybe they can give you some hint ...
The mplextools included in the DVB driver should be able to convert DVB-PES-streams to VOB. But the DVD-Soft-Players didn't rock
when I tested it.

Another question - maybe I didn't see when scanning RTFM from time to time - but is mplayer/mencoder capable to play/rip progressive
frames from DVD?

Rene