[MPlayer-users] Can't get crop to work

alex at foogod.com alex at foogod.com
Mon Aug 12 01:43:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 12:28:08AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > > the sig11 is not normal, and does not occur for us.
> >
> > Well, how was I supposed to know that?  You sure didn't SAY it anywhere..
>
> the user didn't asked it... he asked why doesn't crop work... and the answer
> was ok, because of -vop crop

Actually, no, he asked why he was getting a segv (well, technically he showed
the segv and asked what he did wrong, which amounts to the same question).
Perhaps you should read the messages you respond to..

> he was so dumb that copypasted teh whole message mplayer prints but didn't
> even read it...

Ok, now it's pretty clear you're just living in some sort of different
universe..  This bears no relationship to the reality of the email you
were responding to on the list.  I give up.

> > Umm, were you reading a completely different email than I saw, or are you just
> > psychic?
>
> i didn't re-read and exchanegd with another similar "bugreport"

Ahh, so you WERE reading a completely different message, and as you indicated
elsewhere, you apparently even gave the wrong answer to this user's actual
question as a result..  Way to go.

> this user didn't even included mplayer output...
> he probably assumed that we can read in his mind or we have access to his
> computer and we can see it... but we aren't m$.

Funny, you sure act enough like them when it comes to user support..

> > Considering that the instructions for submitting a "proper bugreport" for many
> > people involve recompiling the whole package, and using gdb (which lots of
> > folks don't even have installed), expecting joe-user to go through all that
> > trouble, when you may not even end up needing the gdb output anyway, is a
> > little unrealistic in many cases, and just a tad arrogant.
>
> sorry, if you don't like our rules, it's your problem.

Sorry, if you're an arrogant asshole, it's your problem.

> as sig11 shouldn't happen, and the only fast and clean way to trace it down
> is using gdb. maybe we should include stripped-down gdb in mplayer just like
> wine does? no.

Really all I was suggesting was that you be a little less condescending and
perhaps a little more informative so people might actually be inclined to help
you, but it's becoming fairly apparent you don't know how to do either, so
nevermind..

Anyway, this discussion is degenerating rapidly, so I'm gonna stop now.

Here's a summary of what I've determined from all of this, however:

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:  Arpi gave the wrong answer, because the signal 11 was
not caused by the choice of command args.  As for the "what did I do wrong?"
regarding the signal 11, the only thing you did wrong was not supply enough
information for people here to find the bug that caused the program crash.  If
you're still experiencing problems, please follow the bug-reporting guidelines
to obtain a gdb trace to help find the problem (and including the full mplayer
output wouldn't hurt either).  If this isn't feasable, see if you can provide a
small portion of the input file which exhibits the problem which other people
could download from somewhere to try to reproduce the problem.

-alex