[MPlayer-users] Can't get crop to work

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Aug 12 00:29:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > Considering that it was apparently immediately obvious to you and other
> > > developer-types here exactly why that segfault was occurring, I would also
> > > suggest that the initial report WAS a "proper bugreport" as after reading it
> > > you had enough information to locate and fix the problem.
> >
> > no, you are wrong.
> >
> > the sig11 is not normal, and does not occur for us.
>
> Well, how was I supposed to know that?  You sure didn't SAY it anywhere..

the user didn't asked it... he asked why doesn't crop work... and the answer
was ok, because of -vop crop

he was so dumb that copypasted teh whole message mplayer prints but didn't
even read it...

the normal behaviour is ignoring -vop when user selects -ovc frameno or
copy, look at the source.

anyway he got the crash in reav_video_properties, ie in input file
header parsing. it's very unusual... and probably also happen wihtout -vop
crop or even without -ovc copy for that probably broken file.

but who knows, he didn't supplied any information. so i can't even guessing.

> > but mplayer printed the error message some time before it crashed, and that
> > message contains the problem description, so we could help him.
>
> Umm, were you reading a completely different email than I saw, or are you just
> psychic?

i didn't re-read and exchanegd with another similar "bugreport"
this user didn't even included mplayer output...
he probably assumed that we can read in his mind or we have access to his
computer and we can see it... but we aren't m$.

> > and no, it was not a proper bugreport, i don't remember seeing gdb trace
> > there.
>
> Considering that the instructions for submitting a "proper bugreport" for many
> people involve recompiling the whole package, and using gdb (which lots of
> folks don't even have installed), expecting joe-user to go through all that
> trouble, when you may not even end up needing the gdb output anyway, is a
> little unrealistic in many cases, and just a tad arrogant.

sorry, if you don't like our rules, it's your problem.
as sig11 shouldn't happen, and the only fast and clean way to trace it down
is using gdb. maybe we should include stripped-down gdb in mplayer just like
wine does? no.

> Oh, that's easy, it's between the entry point and where the program crashes. :)
ah, thanks. you helped a lot, really... don't you want to be listed on top
10 mplayer developer list?

> Seriously, it would have helped things (and possibly even lead to a "proper"
> bug report) if you'd mentioned that the segv was not a known result of that
> command line (which is sure what it sounded like).
would...

> > A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
>
> Ahh.. that explains it..

heh?