[MPlayer-users] Can't get crop to work

alex at foogod.com alex at foogod.com
Mon Aug 12 00:19:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:17:06PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Considering that it was apparently immediately obvious to you and other
> > developer-types here exactly why that segfault was occurring, I would also
> > suggest that the initial report WAS a "proper bugreport" as after reading it
> > you had enough information to locate and fix the problem.
>
> no, you are wrong.
>
> the sig11 is not normal, and does not occur for us.

Well, how was I supposed to know that?  You sure didn't SAY it anywhere..

> but mplayer printed the error message some time before it crashed, and that
> message contains the problem description, so we could help him.

Umm, were you reading a completely different email than I saw, or are you just
psychic?

> but it has nothing with the sig11, it should not happen and should be fixed,
> and we has no idea what is causing sig11 for him...

See, if you'd said that in the first place, I might have been inclined to see
if I could reproduce the problem on my box.

> and no, it was not a proper bugreport, i don't remember seeing gdb trace
> there.

Considering that the instructions for submitting a "proper bugreport" for many
people involve recompiling the whole package, and using gdb (which lots of
folks don't even have installed), expecting joe-user to go through all that
trouble, when you may not even end up needing the gdb output anyway, is a
little unrealistic in many cases, and just a tad arrogant.

If you get a bug report that gives you what you need to find and fix the
problem, take it and use it.  If it doesn't give you that, say so.  Ultimately
everything else is icing.

> and if you are so clever guy, why don't YOU tell us where is teh bug?

Oh, that's easy, it's between the entry point and where the program crashes. :)

Seriously, it would have helped things (and possibly even lead to a "proper"
bug report) if you'd mentioned that the segv was not a known result of that
command line (which is sure what it sounded like).

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Ahh.. that explains it..

-alex