[MPlayer-users] QT/MOV support

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 11 00:20:46 CEST 2001

On Wednesday, 10. October 2001 17:16, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Could this be the sorenson stuff??!?!  I've often wondered if using
> > windows .dll's this could be achieved!
>
> No, there is no Sorenson DLL at all. This is why even microsoft media
> player can't play sorenson movs.
well this *might* be correct for Sorenson V2, but Sorenson V3 (the current
version) is obtained using QuickTimes AutoUpdate feature (like VP3 codec,
too), so this one must be available as a dll and to get the api one only
needs to look at vp3 sourcecode or the specs should also be available
somewhere from apple.

> The only way to play sorenson mov undre mac/win is using their quicktime
> player program, which doesn't uses codec dlls, everything is built-in.
see above quicktime also supports codec dlls, see sorenson v3, vp3, 3divx,
whatever. I'm not even sure sorenson v2 is builtin into quicktime binary,
someone really checked this?

> If we ever support sorenson, it will be rewritten from scratch, similar way
> to ffdivx.
hmm maybe we don't need if we expand win32 loader to support quicktime codecs.

Btw. IMHO sorenson uses motion wavelets for compression and not h263 (which
is more like mpeg4), but I might be mistaken.

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos