[Mplayer-users] mplayer, radeon and DVD quality

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jul 31 23:16:18 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I already wrote about DVD picture quality on radeon_ve under mplayer.
> I've found description of problem which is similar to described by me:
> http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/atirdv.pdf
> It's described on pages 13-15.
Ehh. Why didn't you say that you mean de-interlacing???

This topic was discussed earlier.

> In short: under windows I have the best quality from represented
> on page 14, but under Linux I have the worst from those. I'm not sure -
> is it problem of codec or is it problem of mplayer? or X11 drivers?
> (Indeed pictures have quality much better than in the document, but
> roughly problem looks like that).
>
> Does someone have any solutions?
Not for you.

2 solution exists:
1. software
2. hardware :)

1.: yes, someone could write a software deinterlacer
    it's lots of calculation if you want same/better quality as radeon's
2.: most card support it, but current Xv API doesn't have interface for
    interlaced images. (AFAIK)
    there is syncfb driver, it has hardware deinterlacing support, but
    it's matrox g4x0-only. and it's obsoleted, but i'll port this feature
    to up-to-date mga_vid.o

unfortunately, you must wait, or worse: use windows :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu