[Mplayer-users] mplayer, radeon and DVD quality

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jul 31 23:25:07 CEST 2001

Hi,

> If I read the pdf correctly, than it's a X11-drivers problem. Or rather a
yes

> missing feature. ATI Radeon VE has a clever de-interlace filter
> implemented (switchable, I guess), and the XFree driver does not support
> it (yet), but the Windows Driver by ATI themselves does.
> So the problem should disappear for non-interlaced material. Did you check
> on that? If it's really the de-interlace thing, I would not count on this
> being implemented soon.

and i think, it's working only if you are using hardware motion compensation
(card must know directrtion & speed of blocks for this 'intelligent' filter)
which needs special mpeg codecs.

btw there are plans for XvMC for XFree, but they are only plans, and
i think it tooks some years to get accepted and implemented for these cards.
but, as ATI is big supporter/sponsor of DRI development (the biggest,
as 3dfx dead and matrox stopped dri support) so i think ati cards will be
the first with XvMC support.
if it's ready and working, then someone should write a fast mpeg1/2/4?
decoder supporting XvMC. it isn't so trivial and simple :(

> Of course, there could be a software de-interlace filter for DVD instead,
> e.g. in mplayer. That could give better results without waiting for better
> drivers.
yes. but, afaik software deinterlacers are extreeeeemly sloooooow.
(yea, i know that Nick will over-optimize them to get 100fps on 386 :))

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu