[Mplayer-users] black borders and osd/sub

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Wed Jul 25 17:14:46 CEST 2001

Hi Felix,

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:29:16 +0200 Felix Buenemann <atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > But this rises an important question:
> > Do the black borders need to be transfered again and again ?
> > Or can they set once and never again ?
>
> I've already started on that with sdl out once, it's quite tricky:
> 1. Memory bandwidth increases up to 50% cause black bars need to be
> redrawed with osd, or otherwise osd will "smear" (old osd text not
> cleared)

Sure, that has to be done.

> 2. It's tricky to do the memset with YUV images cause 0 is grey (or
> was it green) and not black, black has another code which need a not
> trivial method and to do this normal memset would be imho to slow
> cause you would have to do two memsets per pixel, another option for
> this would be to initialise the blackbars bitmap in another memoryarea
> and do a memcopy to the surface very time.

What about storing which area is used by the OSD/Subs and only
resetting this part ? This would limit the bandwith but increases
the the computational expense and the diffculty of code.
And I dont know if it could be just one function for all vo methods
(don't know the differences of those at all)

			Attila Kinali

--
Man who sink into womans arms soon have arms in womans sink.