[MPlayer-users] Windows binary available yet?

Brian J. Murrell e427cf04c7f1bd8a36dad8e30995433f at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Dec 12 18:40:26 CET 2001

> Good news: There are already several programs freely available
> for
> Windows that play media files with the same ease and quality
> as MPlayer on Linux.

Same ease and quality?

> In fact, it's not far-fetched to say that they work
> even better
> than MPlayer.

Even better than Mplayer.  You have my interested piqued!

> The first is Microsoft Media Player, available
> at:
> http://microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.asp

OK, no smiley but I *know* you must be joking.  You could not possibly
think that that piece of sh*t MS WMP even compares to Mplayer.  It is
precisely that big bag of elephant turds that I am trying to replace!

I won't even touch the "quality" comparison that you draw between
Mplayer and WMP, but let me address the "ease of use" comparison you
draw.  You think that "it's not far-fetched to say" that WMP works
better than Mplayer in the ease of use department?  With WMP can you:

a) seek back and forward 10 minute, 1 minute and 10 second intervals
   with the press of a key instead of using a stupid slider?
b) adjust a/v sync?
c) seek in AVI files without multisecond pauses while it figures out
   where it is in the audio and video streams?
d) play (CVS version of) mp1e files without having pauses every few
   seconds so that it can re-sync the audio and video?

Shall I go on or are these items important enough differences that you
can concede that WMP is a big bag of crap and does not even come close
to Mplayer in either quality or ease?

> The second is Apple Quicktime Player, useful for playing all
> kinds of
> Quicktime files:

I am not interested in quicktime thanks.

I do thank you for your response, but I must seriously question the
validity of your comparisons.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell