[MPlayer-users] Radeon TVOut working HOWTO

Korey O'Dell kodell at uswest.com
Wed Dec 12 18:07:25 CET 2001

Hello, Korey!

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:14:40 -0600 you wrote:

DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Hi,
>
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Not sure what is being implied here.... either that I did not read the

> docs pertaining to this subject and spent many hours doing something
> that was already documented which is not true. Or, a harmless
> "automatic" response.
What is not true - that VESA supports TV-out on radeon VE?
I have Radeon VE - I know what I wrote.
> > > Folks, last week I got TVOut working with my Radeon VE. Playback
is
> > > incredibly good thanks to the mplayer bunch and company. I have  a

> web
> > > page up explaining how I got it going.
> > >
> > > Hope it helps someone.....took me about a week to bring it all
> together.
> > > ;)
> > >
> > > http://204.26.80.212:8000/cgi-bin/RadeonTV.cgi
> > >
> > You'll get noticeably best performance if you'll use VESA and
> radeon_vid ;)
> Thanks for the suggestion, but performance is outstanding as is. Maybe

> if I get a few extra hours to burn I'll play around with it.
> :)
> Usually RTFM gives better results than WTFAQ :)
>
> Problem was, "RTFM" didn't give better results (neither in time spent
or
> end result) in this case. I "WTFAQ" to help others solve this problem
if
> they encounter it.

If you have working TV-out with GATOS project - it's good news! But for
non-x86 users only.
But for every x86 users -vo vesa:lvo:/dev/radeon_vid is better solution
as from performance point (I develop this driver and I know what I'm
writing ;)
same as from point of memory usage, number of simulatenously running
processes(X11
eats memory and CPU cycles) and just as facility to run mplayer from
text mode.

Yeah this does sound cool. As it is I have to run X on this box to play
movies. All the box is used for is playing movies and mp3s so if I
didn't have to run X, it would definitely free up some resources.
I'll check it out.