[MPlayer-users] framebuffer problems

Derek J Witt djw at flinthills.com
Tue Dec 4 01:10:12 CET 2001

Mark Young wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> Hi
>
> Since upgrading to RH7.2 MPlayer no longer works where it worked fine on
> RH7.1 with all the same hardware. I've got a GeForce2 MX, and using the
> nVidia drivers on RH7.1 it was great, fine, no problems. But, since going to
> RH7.2 and using either the bundled or nVidia drivers all I can get fromM
> Player is :
> fbdev: Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device
> Sorry, selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
>
> Yes, /dev/fb0 does exist and I've tried it as root in case it was a
> permissions thing :) I've installed it according to the docs (as far as I can
> tell), with all the codecs where they should be so I don't think it's a codec
> thing. And I get this with all the file formats I try .... so I think it must
> be a framebuffer thing.

I think there should be a check in there for devfs. In my case, my
framebuffer device is /dev/fb/0. I do not want to keep recreating that
link.  I rather not be root every time I want to watch video on the
framebuffer device.

--
**  Derek J Witt                                              **
*   Email: mailto:djw at flinthills.com                           *