[MPlayer-users] framebuffer problems

Mark Young marky71 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 00:17:33 CET 2001

Hi

Since upgrading to RH7.2 MPlayer no longer works where it worked fine on
RH7.1 with all the same hardware. I've got a GeForce2 MX, and using the
nVidia drivers on RH7.1 it was great, fine, no problems. But, since going to
RH7.2 and using either the bundled or nVidia drivers all I can get fromM
Player is :
fbdev: Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device
Sorry, selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.

Yes, /dev/fb0 does exist and I've tried it as root in case it was a
permissions thing :) I've installed it according to the docs (as far as I can
tell), with all the codecs where they should be so I don't think it's a codec
thing. And I get this with all the file formats I try .... so I think it must
be a framebuffer thing.

I've looked all over the MPlayer site, the X11 site and the nVidia site and
I've found nothing that has helped regarding getting the framebuffer working.
(I did get OpenGL working while I was on, so it's not all hopeless).

Here are the relevant(?) sections from XF86Config-4 :
Section "Module"
#       Load  "GLcore"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load "fbdevhw"
#       Load "dri"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "pex5"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xie"
EndSection
Section "Device"
        # no known options
        Identifier   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
#        Driver       "nv"
        Driver       "nvidia"
        VendorName   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
        BoardName     "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
        #BusID
EndSection

I'm using the very latest nVidia driver, the default Athlon kernel for RH7.2
and have gcc 2.95. I realise this may not strictly be an MPlayer problem -
but seeing as this is the only app that's complaining about the framebuffer I
thought it best to try here first.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Mark