[Mplayer-users] Porting MPlayer to the Alpha platform

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 27 03:03:04 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2001 23:17 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm interested in trying to get mplayer to run on my Alpha 21164. But
> > before I start, I would like to ask if there's any chance for
> > that. Will the C-code codecs be able to play a significant amount of
> > videos or are the DLLs really needed?
>
> I don't know of _any_ important codec which would be Open Source, except
> OpenDivX when this is finally used/usable, which it isn't at the moment.
> So Mplayer would possibly be restricted to MPEG1,2 (mpeg2dec works) then.
> Which is better than nothing... but not much better.
True.

> > Would it be easy to conditionalize DLL support?
> It will be easy to completely throw out DLL support, I guess...
None. At least the very important sh_audio/sh_video structs uses
wine header files and types. So, getting out dll/win32 will be a
very big hack. You should port the MPEGplayer 0.90pre6, the latest
version of mpeg-only MPlayer.

> > Also, are there significant parts with
> > only assembler and no equivalent C code? And would you be interested
> > in patches to support other architectures than i386?
>
> I would be interested in a version for SUN Solaris, but see above: It would
> only be able to support MPG. Alpha might have another problem: sizeof(int).
> I don't think that mplayer is prepared for 64bit...
It even not prepared to other than linux. There are too much dependcies on
gcc / linux headers and wine stuff. sorry, but it was not planned (no sense)
to be portable.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu