[Mplayer-users] Porting MPlayer to the Alpha platform

Christoph H. Lampert gruel at gmx.de
Thu Apr 26 23:32:03 CEST 2001

Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2001 23:17 schrieben Sie:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in trying to get mplayer to run on my Alpha 21164. But
> before I start, I would like to ask if there's any chance for
> that. Will the C-code codecs be able to play a significant amount of
> videos or are the DLLs really needed?

I don't know of _any_ important codec which would be Open Source, except
OpenDivX when this is finally used/usable, which it isn't at the moment.
So Mplayer would possibly be restricted to MPEG1,2 (mpeg2dec works) then.
Which is better than nothing... but not much better.

> Would it be easy to conditionalize DLL support?
It will be easy to completely throw out DLL support, I guess...

> Also, are there significant parts with
> only assembler and no equivalent C code? And would you be interested
> in patches to support other architectures than i386?

I would be interested in a version for SUN Solaris, but see above: It would
only be able to support MPG. Alpha might have another problem: sizeof(int).
I don't think that mplayer is prepared for 64bit...
A plattform independent version of MPlayer might anyhow be a good idea. Who
knows, what's next and 64bit Intel/AMD is not too far away.

gruel