[MPlayer-mirror] content encoding configuration

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Fri Oct 27 20:45:18 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 04:25:48PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Three of our mirrors - www2, www3 and www4 - are serving all pages as
> ISO-8859-1 no matter which encoding the pages specify.  This is a
> problem since it will make many translations have broken characters.
>
> http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/pl/index.html
>
> shows the problem.  The page contains the right charset setting
> (iso-8859-2), but apparently the web server serves it as iso-8859-1.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what the cause of this problem is, but it needs to
> get fixed.  If anybody can investigate and share the solution here that
> would be much appreciated.

I don't know enough about it to explain the reasons, but I think it's
intentionally done for security.

from the apache conf here:

    # Default charset to iso-8859-1 (http://www.apache.org/info/css-security/).
    AddDefaultCharset on

I'm surprised the meta info in the document itself isn't overriding
the default.  That may be a browser bug.