[MPlayer-matrox] Video output to TV out on an MGA400DH32MAX

Guido Reimer g.reimer at garbanicap.de
Tue Dec 21 16:06:05 CET 2004

Ok, I am telling you how i have solved this problem. I am not using X11.

I have a Matrox G400 Max Dual Head like yours.

My System is a Gentoo Linux 2004.3

I have installed a 2.6.10rc3 Kernel with the required Kernel Settings. I
think you know the Settings. You get them from this documentation.

http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/directfb/Matrox_TV-out_README.txt

CONFIG_FB_MATROX
 CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G100
 CONFIG_I2C
 CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT
 CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV
 CONFIG_I2C_PROC (not for 2.6.xx Kernel Versions)
 CONFIG_FB_MATROX_I2C

DO NOT ENABLE DUAL HEAD SUPPORT!!!!

But you will see that in the 2.6.xx Kernel is no i2c /proc interface. I tell
you later more about it. I bould all matrox related options direct into the
kernel ... no modules.

Build your Kernel with the Settings of the documentation.

Then I have checked out the latest CVS Version of Directfb. Make sure that
DirectFB will build Matrox and Sysfs support (it's the new way of i2c
comunication. No /proc any more).

After this steps I have installed the new mplayer 1.0pre5try2. You have to
compile it with matrox and directfb support. Make sure that mplayer will see
your directfb 0.9.21 Version in "./configure".

You have to set the file:
/etc/directfbrc

matrox-crtc2
matrox-tv-standard=pal or ntsc

If you have restarted your System with the new Kernel try:

mplayer -vo dfbmga -fs /[PATH TO VIDEO FILE]

You will see a very nice and very high quality Output on your TV!

I hope this will solve your problems.

(Sorry for my bad English)
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards
Guido Reimer