[MPlayer-matrox] Video output to TV out on an MGA400DH32MAX

Michael Scholz michael_scholz at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 16:40:50 CET 2004

Guido,

thanks for the detailed information.

Yes, I tried the thing with the modules. On the other hand I don't want to
fiddle with the kernel since all 'optimizations' or 'deviations' made to the
standard kernel config setup led to the fact that either one or another
component didn't work anymore after I created my own kernel.

Since having a completely operational machine is crucial for me right now I
don't want to end up with a kernel that doesn't talk to my hardware 100%. To
illustrate this a little bit: I got data drives attached to an HPT370 Raid
controller. Whenever I compiled a new kernel (w/ no 'extra' options enabled
like experimental code and beta-state-modules and such) I was experiencing
problems with these peripherals. I can't effort screwing the machine at this
time (nor do I want to do that ever). Unless I know what I have to configure
that the settings for the MGA DVD max can live peacefully together with what
I call a 'working kernel' or I figure a way to make the modules-option work
I guess I have to live with M$ to watch DVD on my TV.

I'd really like to follow your advice but since I don't know what's the
differences between an out-of-the-box-kernel (that is working but for the
DVD max) and the one that would be produced by a
standard-kernel-compile-config (whenever I compiled a kernel with these
settings I wasn't able to talk appropriately to my raid disks anymore) I'll
leave that alone. It's also not an option to change the distribution just
because of this 'issue'.

Sorry for the lament but I think you'd feel the same way after following all
of the (really good) advices given here on the forum and you're still not
gonna see what others have accomplished for themselves already.

>(Sorry for my bad English)
Kein Problem, bin auch 'n Deutscher und kann mir daher vorstellen, was Du
meinst... ;o) -- Sorry guys, back to English.

Anyway, thanks a lot so far!

-Mike