[MPlayer-G2-dev] RCS for G2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Dec 20 12:40:54 CET 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 12:00:26PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Heyo People,
>
> I think it's time to put G2 onto a RCS.

Not quite yet, IMO. No sense in lots of people committing code until
the new cores are ready.

> Currently there are a few developments going on,
> afaik Arpi, Rich and Alex are working on G2 but very
> little of their work is seen because there is no place
> they can put it.

Actually it's just not done... Even if we had RCS, I wouldn't commit
this code yet since it doesn't work. Only commit _after_ the code
works... :)

> cvs has some known problems (which we currently workaround)
> and limited abilities in mirroring or distributed development.

I don't think we care about those. The main problem with cvs is that
it can't handle keeping revision history when a file is moved (without
ugly hacks).

> bk has proven its quality in the kernel development, but
> its biggest disadvantage is its non-free license that'll
> force some developers out of the project.

I don't see how it's proven quality. It's just proven that people
sold-out to commercial interests like it...

> svn seems to solve most problems with cvs, is free, allows
> simple mirroring, branching and distributed development.
> The client usage is quite similar to cvs which helps in
> getting used to it (didnt need more than 15m for me)
> But its server is quite bloated imho.

The use of Berkeley DB as a backend is seen as a serious negative by
some developers.

> tla has some nice concepts and aims in the same direction
> as svn, but it is still unfinished and has IMHO some design
> problems that can leed to problems in the future.

Not familiar with it.

> i can't say much about darcs as i just heard about it
> yesterday and didn't had but a short look at the docs.
> It seems to be similar to svn and tla.

IMO it's worth checking into a bit.

> Currently i vote for using svn as it seems to be superior
> to all others and it's quit mature. I'm also using it
> for my personal projects for a few weeks and didnt
> run in any problems so far.

My vote is for cvs, but I'm not opposed to svn. I am _strongly_
opposed to bk!!!

Rich