[MPlayer-G2-dev] RCS for G2

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Dec 20 12:00:26 CET 2003

Heyo People,

I think it's time to put G2 onto a RCS.
Currently there are a few developments going on,
afaik Arpi, Rich and Alex are working on G2 but very
little of their work is seen because there is no place
they can put it.

IMHO it would also help to attract other developers to
review the already existing code and to contribute on
the current development.

So, the question is what shall we use, currently there
are a few different systems around:
cvs, bk, svn, tla, darcs.

cvs has some known problems (which we currently workaround)
and limited abilities in mirroring or distributed development.

bk has proven its quality in the kernel development, but
its biggest disadvantage is its non-free license that'll
force some developers out of the project.

svn seems to solve most problems with cvs, is free, allows
simple mirroring, branching and distributed development.
The client usage is quite similar to cvs which helps in
getting used to it (didnt need more than 15m for me)
But its server is quite bloated imho.

tla has some nice concepts and aims in the same direction
as svn, but it is still unfinished and has IMHO some design
problems that can leed to problems in the future.

i can't say much about darcs as i just heard about it
yesterday and didn't had but a short look at the docs.
It seems to be similar to svn and tla.

Currently i vote for using svn as it seems to be superior
to all others and it's quit mature. I'm also using it
for my personal projects for a few weeks and didnt
run in any problems so far.

			Attila Kinali
--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu