[Mplayer-dvb] Green Blocks with Encoding! (was Encoding!)

Martin Hoffmann ma.hoff at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 13 13:39:12 CET 2001

I was on vacation, now i'm back :-)

> > However, in the first few frames of the resulting avi, there are green
> > blocks ! After that the video is okay.
> it is the problem of mpeg input. just play the mpeg without encoding,
you'll see
> the green stuff. it comes from the behaviour of DVB broadcasting...
I don't know how to play the .vdr file other than in VDR itself and there
it's okay !
But anyway, after a conversion (no encoding!) with PVAstrumento i have got a
.mpg (PS) File which plays fine in windows. But when using mencoder to
convert this mpeg to divx avi i get the same result as with the .vdr file !
(green blocks an errors in the first 1 or 2 GOPs)

> > I assume (although i have not checked this) the source video file (VDR
> > Recording) is okay, because this was cut at an i-Frame - so it should be
> > okay.
> no. there are no real (whole) I frames in DVB. just partial updates...
Are you sure about that ? How is it possible to tune in any time into the
stream ? There MUST be some frames that do NOT depend on others !? Otherwise
it would be impossible to switch channels ;-)

I must admit that when analyzing the .vdr file the gop structure seems
strange ... But it seems to start with an i-frame !?
However the .mpg file mentioned above has a correct gop structure but won't
be converted correctly !

Any idea about that ?

Martin.