[Mplayer-dvb] Mencoder and Virtual dub also: Sound of divx over DVB

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Dec 18 22:38:57 CET 2001

Hi,

> I try to treat this files with virtual dub on a win2k maschine, but I got
> some strange results: When I play the file with vdub from the beginning sync
> is ok. After reposition the playback cursor once, sync is lost completly.
vdub can't handle VBR audio.

> When I play this files with the M$-MMPlayer, I can move fore and back and I
> still have perfect sync!
same with all well-written players

> What is the technical reason for his different behaviour? Can I change some
vbr mp3

> options on mencoder to get a file that is compatible to VDub? I tried
> already with -lameopts cbr:br=128, but it was not better than with the
> default vbr-MP3.
it must be ok with cbr, at least the latest CVS versions. it was fixed ~1
week ago.

> Is the "stuttering" on the linux system a simple performance problem (also
> native xxx.vdr files played with mplayer over the dvb card sounds like a
> fluttering tape drive) ?
dvb support of mplayer is under development, and is early alpha stage.
unfortunately nowdays i'm too busy with my commercial work (that fuckin'
deadlines...) but as soon as i'm ready, i'll back to dvb support, and finish
it (fix seeking desync, change to mp1e codec, integrate audio resampling
etc)

> Can I do something to improve the playback of this divx files?
use nandub ?

vdub author says: vbr audio is illegal.
and he refuses all support for such files, both input and output side.
nandub = vdub + vbr support.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu