[Mplayer-dvb] Mencoder and Virtual dub also: Sound of divx over DVB

J. Mueller iMCA jm.imca at t-online.de
Tue Dec 18 22:18:24 CET 2001

Hi list,

I played around with the divx files that mencoder compressed out of the
mpegpes files of the VDR. On the linux platform I can not play them with
full success, because the audio signal is stuttering when I use -ao mpegpes
for dvb-card sound-output. If I use the soundcard, the audio/video sync is
completly lost. (System with 1.1GHz PIII)

I try to treat this files with virtual dub on a win2k maschine, but I got
some strange results: When I play the file with vdub from the beginning sync
is ok. After reposition the playback cursor once, sync is lost completly.

When I play this files with the M$-MMPlayer, I can move fore and back and I
still have perfect sync!
What is the technical reason for his different behaviour? Can I change some
options on mencoder to get a file that is compatible to VDub? I tried
already with -lameopts cbr:br=128, but it was not better than with the
default vbr-MP3.

Is the "stuttering" on the linux system a simple performance problem (also
native xxx.vdr files played with mplayer over the dvb card sounds like a
fluttering tape drive) ?

Can I do something to improve the playback of this divx files?

Best regards and many thanks for every hint...

jm