[MPlayer-DOCS] incomprehensibility in encoding guide

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Jan 4 21:41:41 CET 2007

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

>> > Like this?
>>
>> Almost, but IMHO it would be nice to mention that "When mbd is set
>> to 1 or 2, the specific value of mbcmp is ignored, except to check
>> whether it is nonzero." or something similar.
>
> Isn't that overly verbose?

Actually, it might not be verbose enough to be to precise. This isn't
any more fun to read, but should match the actual behavior:

"When mbd is set to 1 or 2, the value of mbcmp is ignored when comparing
macroblocks. If any comparison setting (precmp, subcmp, cmp, or mbcmp)
is nonzero, however, a slower but better half-pel motion search will be
used, regardless of what mbd is set to. If qpel is set, quarter-pel
motion search will be used regardless."

If someone wants to make the slower but better half-pel motion search a
separate option, instead, that might be less complicated.

-Corey