[MPlayer-DOCS] incomprehensibility in encoding guide

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 21:54:12 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/4/07, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> >> Almost, but IMHO it would be nice to mention that "When mbd is set
> >> to 1 or 2, the specific value of mbcmp is ignored, except to check
> >> whether it is nonzero." or something similar.
> >
> > Isn't that overly verbose?
>
> Actually, it might not be verbose enough to be to precise. This isn't
> any more fun to read, but should match the actual behavior:
>
> "When mbd is set to 1 or 2, the value of mbcmp is ignored when comparing
> macroblocks. If any comparison setting (precmp, subcmp, cmp, or mbcmp)
> is nonzero, however, a slower but better half-pel motion search will be
> used, regardless of what mbd is set to. If qpel is set, quarter-pel
> motion search will be used regardless."
>
> If someone wants to make the slower but better half-pel motion search a
> separate option, instead, that might be less complicated.

I vote for the 2nd solution. An ordinary person will never understand
current behaviour.

I'm not even quite sure if _I_ get how things currently work in fact,
and I'm really trying.

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing
which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations
down to a town meeting or a vestry.
 -- Thomas Jefferson
(when interviewed about MPlayer ML flamewars)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff157207.html