[MPlayer-DOCS] Interested in contributing case studies

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 23:02:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 10/19/06, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how current this is, but I read in
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/wishlist that you're interested in
> "continuing the MEncoder tutorial."  I would like to contribute some
> case studies in the same style/depth as
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-libavcodec.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-example
> (the Harry Potter example).  You already have an "encoding to PSP"
> guide, but little else on targeting specific output devices.
>
> I've used mencoder in a variety of ways, including
>
> - interlaced camcorder DV output to 320x240 iPod 5G-compatible
> H.264/AAC .mp4 files (remuxing with mp4creator)
> - widescreen DVD movies to QuickTime 7-compatible H.264/AAC .mp4 files
> (again, remuxing with mp4creator)
> - 4x3 TV shows to XVID/MP3 .avi files to be played back on a Philips
> 5960 DVD/set-top box (with its own interesting quirks and limitations
> on max bitrate and MPEG 4 options)

We frequently receive questions about these on our user mailing list.
Having doc on how to create such files would be more that welcome.

> I've spent quite some time digging through the latest CVS docs and
> various mailing lists to get high-quality results in all cases.  I was
> wondering if these sorts of case studies would be welcome in the
> MEncoder docs.

They would certainly be. I'm the person responsible for MEncoder docs.
I guarantee that I will do my best to merge your knowledge/work into
our doc.

With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!
Vive la France!