[MPlayer-DOCS] Interested in contributing case studies

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 22:50:21 CEST 2006

I don't know how current this is, but I read in
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/wishlist that you're interested in
"continuing the MEncoder tutorial."  I would like to contribute some
case studies in the same style/depth as
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-libavcodec.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-example
(the Harry Potter example).  You already have an "encoding to PSP"
guide, but little else on targeting specific output devices.

I've used mencoder in a variety of ways, including

- interlaced camcorder DV output to 320x240 iPod 5G-compatible
H.264/AAC .mp4 files (remuxing with mp4creator)
- widescreen DVD movies to QuickTime 7-compatible H.264/AAC .mp4 files
(again, remuxing with mp4creator)
- 4x3 TV shows to XVID/MP3 .avi files to be played back on a Philips
5960 DVD/set-top box (with its own interesting quirks and limitations
on max bitrate and MPEG 4 options)

I've spent quite some time digging through the latest CVS docs and
various mailing lists to get high-quality results in all cases.  I was
wondering if these sorts of case studies would be welcome in the
MEncoder docs.

--
Cheers,
-Mark