[MPlayer-DOCS] DOCS/tech/cvs-howto.txt

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Jun 21 13:12:56 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:13:58PM +0200, Ivo wrote:

> I propose renaming cvs-howto.txt to svn-howto.txt. It's a trivial change,
> but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
>
> Also, there's section III, which is a Beginners Guide, written by David
> Holm. It explains how to setup a stable and development tree, create
> patches et cetera, all with the old CVS server.
>
> I could do one of the following:
>
> 1. add a note saying it's deprecated but might still be useful
> 2. try to rewrite it to use svn commands
> 3. rewrite a beginners guide from scratch
>
> 1. is the easiest, 2. is probably hard and won't work that well and 3. is
> more work, which I am willing to do, but also needs others to review it as
> I am not very good at writing documentation in English.

You'll get a proper review, don't worry.

I've been thinking about what to do with cvs-howto.txt as well.  At the
very least we should rename.  Hey, it's easy enough to do it now after
all.

I'm undecided what to do with section III.  At the very least we should
rewrite it to fit Subversion.  But I'm not sure if it's necessary any
longer.  Nowadays all the people who get commit access appear to be
familiar with revision control tools already and major fumbles are rare,
so maybe we can just remove it.

The same goes for section I to a lesser extent.  We're just duplicating
some basic Subversion documentation that devs should read anyway.
However, it probably cannot hurt.  A solution might be to extend section
I a bit and merge interesting parts of section III into it.