[MPlayer-DOCS] minor encoding-tips thinko fix

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 22:12:25 CET 2006

Jeff Clagg wrote:

> Surely, the original text had something a bit backwards here. I also
> added a helpful sentence at the end of the para. Based on a
> discussion seen in #mplayer.

>    With a two pass encode, the first pass will rip the movie as though it
>    were CBR, but it will keep a log of properties for each frame. This
>    data is then used during the second pass in order to make intelligent
> -  decisions about which quantizers to use. During fast action or low
> +  decisions about which quantizers to use. During fast action or high

You added trailing whitespace here.

>    detail scenes, higher quantizers will likely be used, and during
> -  slow moving or high detail scenes, lower quantizers will be used.
> +  slow moving or low detail scenes, lower quantizers will be used.

Hmm. Which one corresponds to "higher quality" - high quantizer, or low
quantizer?

I think the intent of the part you've changed was to state that scenes
with fast action and/or low detail will be encoded at lower relative
quality. This seems reasonable, on the grounds that in low-detail scenes
there is less information to need to preserve, and in fast-motion scenes
the viewer is less likely to be able to catch the details in time anyway
so preserving them is less useful.

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.