[MPlayer-DOCS] Less confusing description of '-v'

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Jul 26 02:35:10 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:44:30AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
> >>-.IPs 1
> >>+.IPs \-v\ \ \ \
> >
> >".IPs \-v\ \ \ " should be enough
>
> Hmm. I'll admit I didn't experiment with these - I just copied from the
> other places which had the effect I wanted, and most of those seemed to
> have four spaces. You're right, however, that three escaped spaces does
> the job; I imagine it's a matter of line length somehow, although what
> the 'magic number' is (and why it's that) is another question.

You should read DOCS/tech/manpage.txt, that should solve some of the
mysteries.

> >Note: those "\ " are just unbreakable spaces used to get the proper
> >formatting.
>
> I'd figured that out, yes, I just didn't realize it wasn't a matter of
> 'a certain number of spaces in a row' rather than 'enough spaces to make
> the line overflow some unspecified limit'.

Take a look at the top of mplayer.1:

.\" define indentation for suboptions
.nr SS 5

So you need to pad -v with 3 spaces "\ " to reach the 5 needed
characters to make the line break.

> -.IPs 1
> +.IPs \-v\ \ \
>  some basic debug infos, avi header, function values (init debug)
> -.IPs 2
> +.IPs \-v\ \-v
>  print avi indexes, chunk inputs, more debug infos (player debug)
> -.IPs 3
> +.IPs \-v\ \-v\ \-v
>  prints everything related to input parsers (parser debug)

Lots of typos in those lines or at least inconsistency with the rest of
the man page.  Oh well, just when I thought I had caught most of them in
my review back in the day..