[MPlayer-DOCS] Less confusing description of '-v'

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 06:48:10 CEST 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:44:30AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>>Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

>>> ".IPs \-v\ \ \ " should be enough
>>
>> Hmm. I'll admit I didn't experiment with these - I just copied from
>> the other places which had the effect I wanted, and most of those
>> seemed to have four spaces. You're right, however, that three
>> escaped spaces does the job; I imagine it's a matter of line length
>> somehow, although what the 'magic number' is (and why it's that) is
>> another question.
>
> You should read DOCS/tech/manpage.txt, that should solve some of the
> mysteries.

Heh. I keep forgetting that these helpful little docs exist, and getting
myself into trouble as a result. ^_^

>>> Note: those "\ " are just unbreakable spaces used to get the
>>> proper formatting.
>>
>> I'd figured that out, yes, I just didn't realize it wasn't a matter
>> of 'a certain number of spaces in a row' rather than 'enough spaces
>> to make the line overflow some unspecified limit'.
>
> Take a look at the top of mplayer.1:
>
> .\" define indentation for suboptions
> .nr SS 5
>
> So you need to pad -v with 3 spaces "\ " to reach the 5 needed
> characters to make the line break.

Makes sense. I don't think I'd have known that that's what the bit you
cite meant, but it seems reasonable in hindsight.

>> -.IPs 1
>> +.IPs \-v\ \ \
>>  some basic debug infos, avi header, function values (init debug)
>> -.IPs 2
>> +.IPs \-v\ \-v
>>  print avi indexes, chunk inputs, more debug infos (player debug)
>> -.IPs 3
>> +.IPs \-v\ \-v\ \-v
>>  prints everything related to input parsers (parser debug)
>
> Lots of typos in those lines or at least inconsistency with the rest
> of the man page.  Oh well, just when I thought I had caught most of
> them in my review back in the day..

Yeah, that's what I said in my first post that I wanted to correct -
I'll do that separately, after applying this (which will be shortly).

side of it.