[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage, swedish translation

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Mon Oct 25 13:13:52 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 12:46:43PM +0200, Carl F?rstenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:55:08 +0200, Jiri Heryan <technik at domotech.cz> wrote:
> >
> > Agree with Torinthiel. One of reasons I switched Mandrake to Sarge some
> > time ago was, Mandrake goes to UTF8, so console boot messages was a
> > mess, some programs does not work properly, etc. and I was been bored
> > with theirs config jump&jump stuf.
> >
> > Unicode, in my oppinion, is for small group of people with multilingual
> > needs, like make a russian text with an english latex distro.
> >
> > Jiri
> >

> I'm using debian unstable and here unicode is per default. I like
> unicode, utf-8 in particular, and I write everything in utf-8, I'm not
> even thinking about that.
> utf-8 I like because it's variable byte length, This has the effect
> that when you are reading my translations in a non-unicode
> environment, you have problem to read non-ascii characters.
> Ascii-chars in unicode takes only 1 byte, but not the rest. For
> example, if I write 'ä', you will see the char[s] 0xC3 0xA4, but 0xC3
> in latin1 is ?, and 0xA4 in ascii is ¤, so it will be ?¤ for you

I can't see how this is related to previous mail, but please at least
teach your mailer to report you are writing in UTF-8, so that other
mailers know to convert it. (asp. attachments)
Now, something to get rid of encoding problems (me cannot seeing another
people special characters, them not seeing mine, or conflicting chars)
should be done. And if UTF-8 is used widely enough, i.e. MOST of
programs can use it properly, it would be a nice thing. But right now
I cannot read unicode without previously putting it through iconv, and
that's not a convenient way to read manpages or console output.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl