[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage, swedish translation

Carl Fûrstenberg azatoth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:46:43 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:55:08 +0200, Jiri Heryan <technik at domotech.cz> wrote:

> Agree with Torinthiel. One of reasons I switched Mandrake to Sarge some
> time ago was, Mandrake goes to UTF8, so console boot messages was a
> mess, some programs does not work properly, etc. and I was been bored
> with theirs config jump&jump stuf.
>
> Unicode, in my oppinion, is for small group of people with multilingual
> needs, like make a russian text with an english latex distro.
>
> Jiri

I'm using debian unstable and here unicode is per default. I like
unicode, utf-8 in particular, and I write everything in utf-8, I'm not
even thinking about that.
utf-8 I like because it's variable byte length, This has the effect
that when you are reading my translations in a non-unicode
environment, you have problem to read non-ascii characters.
Ascii-chars in unicode takes only 1 byte, but not the rest. For
example, if I write 'ä', you will see the char[s] 0xC3 0xA4, but 0xC3
in latin1 is Ã, and 0xA4 in ascii is ¤, so it will be ä for you