[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Binary packaging guidelines

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 17 12:45:35 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:03:00AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Wednesday, 17 November 2004 at 09:44, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski writes:
> > >
> > > With the release of MPlayer 0.90pre9 all licensing issues have been
> > > eliminated and all code is licensed under the GPL.
> >
> > This is not exactly true, some code is not GPL, see the Copyright
> > file.  It's all GPL-compatible, though, and thus MPlayer as a whole is
> > GPL.
>
> How about "(...) all code is licensed either under the GPL or a
> GPL-compatible license."?

Sounds good.

> > >   - X11/Xvideo/DGA
> >
> > Methinks that DGA is obsolete, so no need to require it.
>
> Is it? We have a big section about it in the docs. And it doesn't require
> any additional libs.

AFAIR it's slower than xv or vidix and requires root privileges.  I cannot
test right now, though.

> > >   - FAAD(internal)
> > >   - libavcodec
> >
> > I'd leave using internal or external FAAD open.  What about
> > libavcodec?  What are the drawbacks of not building it statically?
>
> Well, the obvious one is that MPlayer requires the latest lavc snapshot
> and though there might be another shared lavc installed in the system,
> it is usually a "relase", so it's old and incompatible with MPlayer.

This should be mentioned then.

> > >   - XAnim codecs support
> >
> > That's not a mandatory feature, all of the codecs provided by XAnim
> > libraries are available elsewhere.
>
> By Windows DLLs. I prefer Linux libs over DLLs. At least loading them
> is more reliable, I understand. But OK, if anyone else tells me to drop
> it, I will.

But Windows DLL support is mandatory anyway, so the XAnim lib support
becomes kind of redundant.

> > >   - GUI
> >
> > Is that really mandatory?  I would leave it open.
>
> Arguably, yes. I think this is what most users want.

I don't disagree with that.  But I don't think it's necessary to demand that
an official package include the GUI.

> All others will be included, thank you!

:-)

BTW, once you have this past draft stage you should send it to all (known)
packagers and ask them to give you feedback about this.