[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Binary packaging guidelines

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Nov 17 11:03:00 CET 2004

Hi,

On Wednesday, 17 November 2004 at 09:44, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski writes:
> >
> > This is a more or less complete draft of my new Binary Packaging
> > Guidelines document which, as A'rpi was kind enough to remind me,
> > I promised to write a long time ago.
> >
> > Please read and comment.
>
> Nice, here goes the first round of comments, include at your leisure.
>
> > With the release of MPlayer 0.90pre9 all licensing issues have been
> > eliminated and all code is licensed under the GPL.
>
> This is not exactly true, some code is not GPL, see the Copyright
> file.  It's all GPL-compatible, though, and thus MPlayer as a whole is
> GPL.

How about "(...) all code is licensed either under the GPL or a
GPL-compatible license."?

> >   - X11/Xvideo/DGA
>
> Methinks that DGA is obsolete, so no need to require it.

Is it? We have a big section about it in the docs. And it doesn't require
any additional libs.

> >   - FAAD(internal)
> >   - libavcodec
>
> I'd leave using internal or external FAAD open.  What about
> libavcodec?  What are the drawbacks of not building it statically?

Well, the obvious one is that MPlayer requires the latest lavc snapshot
and though there might be another shared lavc installed in the system,
it is usually a "relase", so it's old and incompatible with MPlayer.

> >   - XAnim codecs support
>
> That's not a mandatory feature, all of the codecs provided by XAnim
> libraries are available elsewhere.

By Windows DLLs. I prefer Linux libs over DLLs. At least loading them
is more reliable, I understand. But OK, if anyone else tells me to drop
it, I will.

> >   - GUI
>
> Is that really mandatory?  I would leave it open.

Arguably, yes. I think this is what most users want.

> > NOTE: You MUST either make sure that /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf is always
> > in the latest available version or not provide that file at all.
>
> I suggest not providing it at all.  codecs.conf is strictly a
> developer thing.

Hm. OK.

All others will be included, thank you!

R.