[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/images arpi-s.jpg, 1.1, NONE arpi.jpg, 1.1, NONE hq-small.gif, 1.1, NONE hq.gif, 1.1, NONE lgb-640k.jpg, 1.1, NONE poncso.jpg, 1.1, NONE team.jpg, 1.1, NONE torgyi.jpg, 1.1, NONE

Arpi arpi at mplayerhq.hu
Tue Nov 2 15:04:22 CET 2004

Hi,

> Arpi writes:
> >
> > > Arpi, you don't have to like what I do, just as I don't like some of
> > > the things you do.  But you have to come to terms with the fact that
> > > you stepped down and are no longer in control of MPlayer.  Some things
> > > are done differently now and you will have to accept that.  Trying to
> >
> > i dont try to control mplayer. i just thought i had some copyright of
> > some things i (or we, with my friends from old-team) made in the past.
>
> What's your point?  Do you feel I (or we, with my friends from the
> Neu-Team) infringed your copyrights?  How?

By deleting files of our work, without even asking us.
Afaik the files at mplayer homepage were never released under GPL
or any license. So their copyright is hold by their author...
And no, i don't want to sue you at court, just don't like the way
you do these things.

> > mphq was always a little bit more than an mplayer tarball distribution
> > site. it was a playground of a small community, including not
> > strictly mplayer-related things, like personal homepages, fun,
> > warez :) and so on...
>
> It still is, I didn't touch any personal homepages, nor would I.  I
> just maintain the project homepage.

Really??? ...
What about the funpage and others, then?
They were personal pages actually, just put to /var/www because it
belongs to more than one user, so putting it under ~gabucino or ~arpi
has no much sence...

> Nobody prevents you from putting the fun page back up somewhere.  I
> did not destroy the data, I just removed it from the project homepage.

it's still available in google cache, sure...

you still dont understand. i don't miss the funpage (so much, although
it was really funny), my problem is that you change and remove pages
don't belong to you. I don't go to your house and remove walls, just
because you allowed me to re-paint the front door.

> > > continue controlling things from retirement is not going to get you
> >
> > but i still have my hands over the power button of mphq box...
> > dont forget that little detail, please.
>
> Trust me, I don't.
>
> > maybe it's time for the neu-team to move back to sourceforge,
> > and leave the old ppl alone.
>
> Or maybe it's time for both factions to quit monitoring each other's
> activity and coexist.  Is it possible that we could just ignore each
> other?

Yes, assuming we don't cross eachother's work or interests.

> > > simply respect each other and live in peace (and no, without vmiklos,
> > > thanks).
> >
> > i cant respect your destroy-all-the-past style, sorry.
>
> I'm not destroying the past.  Also, there is no point in singling me
> out like you constantly do.  I'm not acting alone from out of a void.
>
> Let's stop arguing and try to find a compromise that is workable for
> both sides.
>
> Yes, I can understand that you want to see "historic" versions of the
> homepage preserved.  Contrary to what you may think I'm absolutely not
> opposed to that, all the opposite. (OK, it's probably hard to tell
> from my words and actions.) I just want to be able to change and
> evolve the current version of the site as I and the others see fit.  I
> think at the heart of this lies a technical problem.  Currently if
> some content is changed it is reflected in all the designs the site
> offers.  It's not infeasible to change this.

It is not a problem, it's a feature. Designs are skins (or themes),
not versions.

> I have the following idea: Old designs could be "frozen in time" so
> that they do not offer up-to-date content but rather a version of the
> site up to the time when the design went out of service.  So if you go
>
> http://mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
>
> you get the latest version of the homepage with content up to today
> and when you go to
>
> http://mplayerhq.hu/design6/news.html
>
> you get content up to the point when design7 started (27th of April
> 2004), including funpage and whatnot.  The same could be done for the
> other designs.

again: Designs are skins (or themes), not versions.

i see no sence of frozing news or other outdated content.
(but also i dont see reasons for removing independent pages...)

> Reimar proposed having a place where old stuff gets put which you can
> browse if you want to look at old versions of the site.
>
> Arpi, would such a solution satisfy you?

it doesnt matter what statisfy me. i doesnt matter.
i don't even ask you to put back the pages you removed (maybe i should).
I just asked a very simple question: why do you remove pages, not
belonging to your business? Without permission of authors...
If you're unable to answer, it's a problem, not a feature.

A'rpi / MPlayer, Astral & ESP-team

--
MPlayer's new image: happiness & peace & cosmetics & vmiklos