[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/images arpi-s.jpg, 1.1, NONE arpi.jpg, 1.1, NONE hq-small.gif, 1.1, NONE hq.gif, 1.1, NONE lgb-640k.jpg, 1.1, NONE poncso.jpg, 1.1, NONE team.jpg, 1.1, NONE torgyi.jpg, 1.1, NONE

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Nov 2 13:57:25 CET 2004

Arpi writes:

> > Arpi, you don't have to like what I do, just as I don't like some of
> > the things you do.  But you have to come to terms with the fact that
> > you stepped down and are no longer in control of MPlayer.  Some things
> > are done differently now and you will have to accept that.  Trying to
>
> i dont try to control mplayer. i just thought i had some copyright of
> some things i (or we, with my friends from old-team) made in the past.

What's your point?  Do you feel I (or we, with my friends from the
Neu-Team) infringed your copyrights?  How?

> mphq was always a little bit more than an mplayer tarball distribution
> site. it was a playground of a small community, including not
> strictly mplayer-related things, like personal homepages, fun,
> warez :) and so on...

It still is, I didn't touch any personal homepages, nor would I.  I
just maintain the project homepage.

Nobody prevents you from putting the fun page back up somewhere.  I
did not destroy the data, I just removed it from the project homepage.

> > continue controlling things from retirement is not going to get you
>
> but i still have my hands over the power button of mphq box...
> dont forget that little detail, please.

Trust me, I don't.

> maybe it's time for the neu-team to move back to sourceforge,
> and leave the old ppl alone.

Or maybe it's time for both factions to quit monitoring each other's
activity and coexist.  Is it possible that we could just ignore each
other?

> > simply respect each other and live in peace (and no, without vmiklos,
> > thanks).
>
> i cant respect your destroy-all-the-past style, sorry.

I'm not destroying the past.  Also, there is no point in singling me
out like you constantly do.  I'm not acting alone from out of a void.

Let's stop arguing and try to find a compromise that is workable for
both sides.

Yes, I can understand that you want to see "historic" versions of the
homepage preserved.  Contrary to what you may think I'm absolutely not
opposed to that, all the opposite. (OK, it's probably hard to tell
from my words and actions.) I just want to be able to change and
evolve the current version of the site as I and the others see fit.  I
think at the heart of this lies a technical problem.  Currently if
some content is changed it is reflected in all the designs the site
offers.  It's not infeasible to change this.

I have the following idea: Old designs could be "frozen in time" so
that they do not offer up-to-date content but rather a version of the
site up to the time when the design went out of service.  So if you go

http://mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

you get the latest version of the homepage with content up to today
and when you go to

http://mplayerhq.hu/design6/news.html

you get content up to the point when design7 started (27th of April
2004), including funpage and whatnot.  The same could be done for the
other designs.

Reimar proposed having a place where old stuff gets put which you can
browse if you want to look at old versions of the site.

Arpi, would such a solution satisfy you?