[MPlayer-DOCS] Italian documentation

danny guru at digitalfantasy.it
Thu Feb 19 21:53:23 CET 2004

Alle 17:56, giovedì 19 febbraio 2004, Nicola Lacquaniti ha scritto:
Today i got some spare time so i start to translate the man page and i have
almost a 20% done (till the OSD options).

This can not be perferct but may be a good start.

I agree on the fact that some terms must not be transated (or must be
transaled with the same word each time).

I don't know anything about the messages *(i use then english version) but in
the week end i take a look at them to try to use the same words.

BTW it may be nice to have, at the beginning of the man page, a list of word
that we think is better not translate ( stream, streaming , demux and codec
are the first that come to mind) and a little explanation of what they mean.

Attached there is the very first part of the man page (try that with man -l
mplayer.1 after you expanded them).

The missing part is already in english.

We can split the work, i will continue with the video encoding option so feel
free to do some other part ;-)

	Daniele

P.S. I need to start the work (without waiting for coordination) because is
almost a month that this idea flies in my mind (have the man page translated
before the 1.0 release) and if I don't start it i never done it.

After the initial burnout i thing is better to coordinate the work to have
some good man page.

P.P.S. I want to work on the man page ecause i read once the html doc and
almost 50 times the man pages (and i missed something after 50 times ....)

> Ciao Daniele!
> I've been captured by the same crazy need as you are (translate the man
> page in italian!) It would be nice if we could join our efforts, so i think
> we could do a better and speedy work. By now, I've asked for priority the
> mailing list, and the great Diego pointed me to the
> DOCS/tech/translations.txt, as you can imagine, where in my previous mail i
> asked
>
> > Nicola Lacquaniti writes:
> > > Excuse me,
> > > but I haven't understood: would do you like that I start to
> > > translate/syncronize, the messages or the xml or the man pages?
> > > (All together is too much to start!)
>
> that was because in a former email Roberto Togni said:
> > Ciao Nicola.
> >
> > I try to keep the message file up to date as much as possible, so it's
> > usually in sync with the English version. But that's the only part of
> > the Italian documentation that's maintained.
>
> So i've understood that:
>  - the italian messages are maintained from Roberto Togni and are up to
> date. - the man pages are obsolete (ancient?), and, as Roberto said, is
> better to restart than to modify the old version.
>
>  - the man pages are the second in the kind  list for the translations. From
Diego mail: