[MPlayer-DOCS] Italian documentation

Nicola Lacquaniti nicpa at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 20 11:25:35 CET 2004

Hi Danny!

Wow! I've done the same too, perhaps we can join our translations together!
Only a little thing: you have changed the revision in

.\" $Revision: 1.0 $

but doing so we can't know the english document from which we have started!
Perhaps could be better do something as
.\" $Revision: 1.545 $  // the original english document
.\" Traduzione italiana rev. 1.0 // our revision

or

.\" $Revision: 1.0 $
.\" Dalle pagine man inglesi rev. 1.545

we have to take into account that, even when we are talking, the english man pages are upgrated
by the developers, so we have to keep trace of our and original revisions.

> This can not be perferct but may be a good start.

> I agree on the fact that some terms must not be transated (or must be
> transaled with the same word each time).

> I don't know anything about the messages *(i use then english version) but in
> the week end i take a look at them to try to use the same words.

The messages file attached are the english and the italian ones, we can use them
as a reference.

> BTW it may be nice to have, at the beginning of the man page, a list of word
> that we think is better not translate ( stream, streaming , demux and codec
> are the first that come to mind) and a little explanation of what they mean.

I agree, but I think that this could be a conformity problem with the man pages
translated in the other languages:
perhaps other people in this list (with a better knowledge of the documentation system -
Diego?)  can suggest us the right way to do that...

If I have time I can try to do a list of words that we will not translate and send it to
you, for your revisions. I really like the translation Stream<->flusso for example, I
wasn't able to find nothing for stream like yours one!

> Attached there is the very first part of the man page (try that with man -l
> mplayer.1 after you expanded them).

> The missing part is already in english.

> We can split the work, i will continue with the video encoding option so feel
> free to do some other part ;-)

Ok, during the week-end I'll try to do
   OSD/SUB OPTIONS,
   AUDIO OUTPUT OPTIONS (MPLAYER ONLY),