[MPlayer-DOCS] Italian documentation

Nicola Lacquaniti nicpa at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 19 17:56:19 CET 2004

Ciao Daniele!
I've been captured by the same crazy need as you are (translate the man page in italian!)
It would be nice if we could join our efforts, so i think we could do a better and speedy work.
By now, I've asked for priority the mailing list, and the great Diego pointed me to the
DOCS/tech/translations.txt, as you can imagine, where in my previous mail i asked

that was because in a former email Roberto Togni said:

> Ciao Nicola.
>
> I try to keep the message file up to date as much as possible, so it's
> usually in sync with the English version. But that's the only part of
> the Italian documentation that's maintained.

So i've understood that:
 - the italian messages are maintained from Roberto Togni and are up to date.
 - the man pages are obsolete (ancient?), and, as Roberto said, is better to
    restart than to modify the old version.
 - the man pages are the second in the kind  list for the translations. From Diego mail:

> Short answer:

> 1) messages
> 2) man page
> 3) XML

- No way: WE HAVE TO TRANSLATE THE MAN PAGES!!!

But i think we don't have to start absolutely from scratch: for all questions
about consistency we have the big job done by Roberto Togni, the italian messages!
He has already resolved the painful translations of things like 'flip', 'stream', ecc.
(that in my opinion is better to NOT translate at all - they are now common words
in all the word in my opinion). I haven't read all his translation, but i think we MUST
use his one for consistency (if users read a console message they would like to find
the explaination with text search in the man pages)

So we are: can we split the document and do the job together?
Tell me your ideas

Nicola