[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/fr mplayer.1,1.57,1.58

Torinthiel torinthiel at wp.pl
Thu Oct 30 13:25:01 CET 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:42:34AM +0100, Nico wrote:
> Le Mardi 28 Octobre 2003 23:22, Torinthiel a écrit :
> > Did a little research on my own.
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1996Sep/0098.html
> > http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2000-January/001594.html
> > http://accurapid.com/journal/03type.htm
> >
> > The last link is the most "official", but it has spaces only mentioned
> > (near the end, look for 'type and language')
> > Interesting bit is that the first 2 posts disagree about ;
> >

> the first link talks about " quart cadratin insecable" witch mean "a
> non-breaking space witch lenght is a quarter of the others characters". But
> we can print only full-lenght spaces ;)
Now the problem is should 1/4 of a space be rounded up or down ;)

BTW found http://rondinet.free.fr/docs_fr_typo/fqblanc1.html where is a
definition of caradin, but in French. And the only thing I understand
from it is "En anglais, <I>em</I>." Which is exactly what is said as a
response to the mail in the first link.

> in all links they talks about one non-breaking space before the mark, and one
> normal space after.
I didn't say no ;) Just your link was in a language I don't know, so I
found some I can understand.

> > Anyway, shouldn't it be '\ ' then?
> >

> forgive my ignorance, but is this the coding for 'non-breaking space'?
> in this case yes, i'll have to fix all spaces in the man page.
On my system it's man 7 groff, about 2/3 of the file (along with many
\char things). It was The best I could find (but I'm not a troff expert.
Not even intermediate). There also is \~, it is inbreakable, but it
streches like a normal space, so is wrong here.
And please, not ALL spaces ;) Leave normal between words ;)
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3075312
   torinthiel(at)wp(dot)pl